Skip to main content

Red Wine and Soy–Braised Short Ribs

Won cook-off contest at office the first time I made this. Amazing.

AnonymousNaperville, IL05/16/19

Amazing recipe!!!!!!!!!!! My family enjoyed it and it was my first time making this recipe!!!!!! Delicious! Sharing the recipe with friends.

AnonymousMontreal, Quebec CANADA04/29/19

A wonderful recipe, badly misnamed. Tastes like an English beef dish - rich and savory - with added Chilli spice. Doesn't taste like ANY Korean dish I've had in Korea or in the US.

AlchemistGeorgeSan Francisco Bay Area04/07/19

These turned out delicious! I made them a day ahead of serving which I would highly recommend, both for maximum flavor melding and also to be able to scrape off hardened fat when it comes out of the fridge. I did do a lot of fat skimming while it was cooking, but if you make it a day ahead, you could probably leave it all in there and take it out once it's solid. While the ribs were delicious and super tender, I can't say I could identify the Korean flavors really strongly over the wine. These would have been fine with more traditional short rib sides like mashed potatoes if that's your jam. I bought a little over 5 pounds of bone-in ribs and it really would only feed 6 people if everyone takes a reasonable portion (2-3 ribs each), so keep that in mind if you're buying for a crowd.

soapnanaChicago03/25/19

SO GOOD! Made on Sunday and reheated for dinner on Monday. A new family-fav!

AnonymousAshburn, Virginia03/19/19

I usually love your recipes, but I have to say meh on this one. A lot of work and not much depth of flavor. Quite boring actually. Very disappointed for the amount of prep.

AnonymousHarrisburg pa. 03/18/19

These ribs were fantastic. I made these for company and it blew them away. The ribs do come out a bit salty due to braising in a soy mixture, so be cautious with how much salt you use to season the ribs initially. Based on my cooking experience, I did make a few tweaks to the process, but not the proportions of ingredients (except for using only 3lb of boneless beef ribs). -I initially seared the ribs, after a light brushing of vegetable oil and sprinkle of salt, on a sheet pan in the oven at 500F for 15 minutes. -In a Dutch oven I then followed the recipe to soften the onions, garlic and ginger, then added the other ingredients as directed. -Once the ribs were added back to the pot I cooked them covered in a 265F oven for 3.5 to 4 hours, skimming off any fat once or twice. To slightly thicken the sauce, I cooked the ribs with the the lid of the Dutch oven tilted to let some moisture escape, for about the last hour. -No Shilgochu, no problem. A light sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes did the trick.

AnonymousAlbany, NY03/18/19

I made these in my Instant Pot. Used sauté setting to brown the ribs and then the onions/garlic/ginger. Also used this setting to reduce the wine. Canceled sauté setting and changes to pressure. Cooked for 45 minutes, (high pressure) then allowed 15 minutes natural release, followed by quick release of the remaining pressure. Cook time was spot on. Ribs perfectly tender. As expected, I ended up with way too much sauce but wanted to follow the recipe as written to see how it played out. Next time I would add only 1/2 to 1 cup water but keep the other liquids the same ( being sure to thoroughly reduce the wine) to give the sauce more depth. I pulled out the ribs and then thickened the sauce some with a cornstarch slurry. Again, used the sauté setting to get it to a simmer before adding the slurry. My ribs were beautifully browned and had great flavor. I did not add the radish and did not make the egg garnish due to late start on the dish. However, I did have some gochugaru to sprinkle on top of each serving, which we really liked. Served with rice. Will definitely make again-and in the IP!

wendypNorth Carolina03/18/19

Making it now, smells good, though why on earth do you not have a recipe for that beautiful kimchi that looks shellacked with a wonderful sauce?

AnonymousEarth03/17/19

any recommendations for how to make this in an instant pot?

AnonymousNY03/11/19

Delicious! I halved the meat called for in the recipe, and made about 2/3 of the sauce (always nice to have more sauce!). Total cook time for the meat (simmering) was about 4 hours, though probably could have done this in a slow cooker. I made it on Sunday afternoon/evening, reheated on the stove-top with a couple tablespoons of gochujang on Tuesday and it made a perfect, easy weeknight dinner with leftovers! So good!

Anonymous03/05/19

The "jam" that this makes is absolutely delicious! Cooking down the red wine with the more traditional Korean flavorings is fantastic. For non-meat eaters, I: browned the aromatics, added the braising ingredients, simmered them partially covered for two hours, added the radish and 4# of 1" pieces of squid (broken down from 4 large frozen squid, cleaned), simmered them in the "jam" for an hour, and garnished it as described. Just wonderful, served with a mixture of 1-1/2 cups short-grain brown rice and 1/2 cup millet, cooked

AnonymousBuffalo, NY03/04/19

I decided to do the braising in a slow cooker. I should have left the cover slighty off to keep the broth thicker. When transfering everything to a slow cooker the cook time will longer. I went a litt too long, but it still came out a winner!! I even tried the persian crispy rice!! I boiled the rice a little too long and didn’t bake the rice long enough. However, I loved the flavor. I decided to use goji berries because that’s what I had in my fridge and it came out SO YUMS!! Next time i’ll cut the recipe down by half. Instead of the fennel, I used a Korean pear because I wanted that crispy sweet crunch my lettuce cups and that turned out really nice. I followed the fennel recipe to a tee except used the large korean pear vs fennel.

Aloha AumHawaii03/03/19

Made these tonight - braising liquid was delicious, but my short ribs turned out tough and not tender - I thought that I followed the recipe exactly, what did I do wrong??

AnonymousToronto03/02/19

To Anonymous from Portland, OR - the recipe states "4 lb. 2"-thick boneless beef short ribs OR 5 lb. 2"-thick crosscut bone-in short ribs" - The photo shows regular short ribs because that's probably what was used.

AnonymousTerrebonne, OR03/01/19

First off, great recipe with well done ratios. Definitely worth your time to make. I made it for two guy friends and it is now their favorite meal. However, two major points. 1) whatever you do, don't make it in a "small pot". Use a thick bottomed heavy medium-large pot or dutch oven, especially if choosing the 5lb of bone-in short ribs. 2) pre-searing the meat doesn't give you as clean braising liquid as pre-boiling out the fat. But I prefer the sear on the meat over boil, just skim the fat off the top as its braising and it comes out great!

AnonymousHouston, TX02/27/19

Recipe calls for Boneless or Flanken-Cut Short Ribs. Photo shows regular cut short ribs.

AnonymousPortland OR02/27/19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

57+ Newest Eyewear Trends for Men & Women 2019

Are you looking for the hottest eyewear trends that are presented to both men and women for the next year? Choosing fashionable and stylish clothes to wear is a necessity to be attractive and look gorgeous, but this is not enough as there are simple things that you can add to what you wear to complement it and increase your elegance. Wearing glasses is one of the easiest ways that allow both men and women to get a new look and enhance their elegance without spending a lot of money. These glasses are not just worn to protect our eyes as choosing the right glasses that suit the shape of your face can easily change your look and make you more impressive. In order to be fashionable and catchy, you have to take a look at the new eyewear trends that are presented every year. Some of the new trends that are presented for the next year are inspired by what was presented before in the past years while there are other trends which are presented for the first time to cope with the latest changes

What Information Is Included in a Background Check?

Where have you lived, worked or have you ever been locked up for a crime? From the time you are born, every detail about you forms your background. The hospital where you were born in, the year, the day, the time, what you weighed at birth, who your parents are, all these are recorded and … The post What Information Is Included in a Background Check? appeared first on Pouted Magazine .

Blueberry Crumb Cake

Bake cake, checking after 30 minutes and tenting with foil only if crumble is getting very dark (some color is fine), until top of cake is firm and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 60–70 minutes. Let cake cool in pan, at least 2 hours, then cut into slices in pan.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *